Walking route of the ancient town
The project "The town for pedestrians and primitive vehicles" was put under test on 24 July 2014, however the idea of an ancient town without motorbike engine noise had been hatched since the 90s of the 20th century when the staff of Hoi An Center for Culture and Sports took a survey about the development of the ancient town to plan for tourism development. "The walking town" has been a tourism brand of Hoi An that not only expand space, but also lengthen the timeframe to meet the needs of tourists.
● The project was originally called “The ancient town without motorbike engine noise” and run on every Saturday with the timeframe: 8:00 am- 11:00am; 1:30pm – 4:30pm and 6:00pm – 9:00pm.
● Since 17 January 2005,the project was run on every Saturday and Wednesday, 8:00 am- 11:00am; 2:00pm – 4:30pm and 6:00pm – 9:00pm..
● Since 05 March 2007, the project was run on every Saturday, Wednesday and Monday, 8:00 am- 11:00am; 2:00pm – 4:30pm and 6:00pm – 9:00pm... Its name was changed to “The town for pedestrians and primitive vehicles”
● Since 07 March 2008, Friday was added
● Since 16 January 2010, this project was run on everynight along with another project “Hoi An Legendary Night”
● Since 15 February 2011, Tuesday was added
● Since 02 February 2012, ngày thứ Năm hàng tuần được đưa vào hoạt động;
● Since 01 April 2013, Sunday was added – it also meaned the project was run everyday at this period.
● Since 13 April 2014, the time frame was changed: 9:00 am – 11:00am, 3:00pm – 10:00pm (summertime)/ 9:30 pm (wintertime).
The current time frame is quite suitable for tourists. With tourists’s eyes, the best time to visit the ancient town is from 3:00pm to 9:30pm (wintertime)/ 10:00 (summertime).